Update: Siblings Apparent Victims of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Stock Photo, St. George News

Updated Monday, March 21, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.

ST. GEORGE –Two siblings remain in critical condition today at Dixie Regional Medical Center and are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Rita Cox, 88, and Grant Cox, 80, were transported yesterday after a friend from their church found them in their home. Their sister Zela O’Brian, 82, died yesterday before paramedics arrived.

Fire Chief Jason Whipple said the siblings appear to be victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. Whipple said when the three did not attend church yesterday, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints went to the home to check on them. The friend made entry into the home and smelled the gas, he said, and immediately called 911.

The St. George Fire and Police departments arrived and removed the three from the home. Grant Cox was in a coma as of last night.

Whipple said the injuries are believed to be an accident. A vehicle in the garage is believed to have been accidentally left running, filling the house with the poison.


Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2011, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.