MESQUITE, Nev. – Friday kicked off the three-day Mesquite Off-Road Weekend at the Eureka Casino Resort. Racing and family fun will continue Saturday and Sunday with Enduro Challenge Races, the new Adventure Park, a carnival and mud bogs.
Mesquite Resort Association sponsors the event along with Edge Powersports, Rockwell, Mesquite Auto Sales, LLC, Polaris World, Stephen Wade Chrysler Jeep Ram Dodge and Awesome Adventures.
With the weather forecasting temperatures in the low 70s, attendance for the second annual Mesquite Off-Road Weekend is expected to top 5,000.
“Last year it was cold and windy and the weather kept a lot of people way. This year the weather is going to be a lot better,” said Myron Shields, operations manager for Eureka Casino Resort.
The track has been reconfigured since last year with new jumps and obstacles, Director of Facilities Rick Brown said. Also this year the races are going to be run clockwise. Last year they ran counter-clockwise. This will put the grandstands up close to the action and challenge the racers with fast right-hand turns.
New entertainment additions for this year are the Adventure Park, a carnival area and mud bog races.
“We have been doing a lot of work out here the past three or four weeks. We built the mud bogs in the back; we did not have them last year,” Brown said. “Sunday the big trucks and stuff, the four-wheel drives will be racing dragster style in the mud bogs.”
The mud bog races will feature local trucks, pro-stock trucks as well as the fast alcohol class of race trucks and the outlaw division. Mud bog races start at 10 a.m. on Sunday. The Mud Bogs will feature a $5,000 purse.
The adventure Park features a zip-line, an archery range, paint ball, RC car racing, an obstacle course and a rock-climbing wall.
“We had a preview day yesterday and we had a 70 year old woman going down the zip line and she had a blast, and their grandkids that were only 8 years old,” said Alex Koch, corporate director of development and administration for Eureka Casino Resort.
The Powersports Plaza is filled with vendors, food, drink entertainment and unguided trail rides.
“Cowboy” Kenny’s Steel Rodeo
The highlights of weekend will be Cowboy Kenny’s Steel Rodeo aerial show and the “Beyond Pro” race featuring top racers battling for bragging rights.
The Steel Rodeo provides non-stop, action packed freestyle motocross lead by “Cowboy” Kenny Bartram and his team of champion freestyle riders. Bartram holds the title of Beyond Pro champion and will be back to defend his title. He started his career at the ripe old age of 7 and has been hitting the dirt ever since. Racing his way through the ranks of both amateur and professional motocross circuits, Bartram moved into freestyle motocross in 1998.
Bartram is a dominant force in the sport; winning an unprecedented 13 IFMA events in a row and 26 Main Event wins in a single season.
Bartram has also accumulated seven World Championships, Dew Tour Champion and 10 medals from X Games and Gravity Games, including four Gold and many more titles and championships along the way.
Enduro Challenge Races
The races take place on the tabletop red mesa next to the Eureka Casino Resort that has been transformed into a one-of-a-kind track. The track features enduro-type obstacles; including boulders, rock fields, poles, sand, jumps, water, and a motocross section and miles of open desert.
The following divisions are available:
- Youth (12 – 15 years old)
- Novice: Open Class
- Amateur: Open Class
- Vet (over 30)
- Trials Bikes
- Pro/Expert: Open Class
Seating is festival style so fans are encouraged to bring chairs and enjoy the track and racing.
- Saturday: Racing, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. | Beyond Pro race and Steel Rodeo exhibition, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Sunday: Mini MX, 10 a.m. to noon | Mud Bogs, noon to 4 p.m.
- Everyday: Adventure Park and PowerSports Plaza open for fans
For the complete event schedule click here.
Event details and contact information
- What: Mesquite Off-Road Weekend featuring Cowboy Kenny Bartram’s Steel Rodeo
- When: Friday-Sunday, Feb. 21-23
- Where: Eureka Casino Resort, 275 S. Mesa Blvd., Mesquite – Track and event is adjacent to Eureka Resort
- Cost: General Admission: Adults $30, kids $20 | VIP ticket: $59 | Ultimate ticket: $179
- Website: Mesquite Off-Road
- Contact: Telephone: 702-345-4749 | Email: [email protected]
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery
- It’s going to be hectic, awesome: Mesquite Off-road Weekend, Nitro Circus, world-record jump attempt
- Biggest motorsports event to hit southern Utah is back
- Dixie Roundup opening: ‘Nitro’ Circus, bulls and bikes; STGNews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Winter on the Rocks at Sand Mountain, rivaling Moab; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Monster X Tour tears it up at Washington County Fairgrounds; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Ryan Piplic sets new world record at Fall Fuel Fest
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.