ST. GEORGE — The St. George Art Museum invites you to gig your spurs and come on in to the museum to see “The Many Facets of the West” on exhibit this summer through Aug. 29.
Three galleries are dedicated to the exhibit: the Main Gallery, the Mezzanine Gallery and the Legacy Gallery. Admission is $3 for adults and $1 for children ages 3-11.
The exhibited works span a range of 100 years, from 1915 to 2015, a few with the aura of aromatic oil paint.
A collector from New York has amassed jewels of two-dimensional art in the Main Gallery in his “A Feeling of Humanity: Western Art from the Ken Ratner Collection.”
“Ride On In” was inspired and curated to accompany the Ken Ratner collection. It focuses on cowboys and cowgirls, whether working or rodeoing, the sport of the West.
In the Legacy Gallery, the museum features artist Minerva Teichert with 23 sketches of life on the ranch, ranging in date from 1915-1920.
To round out the show, a collector loaned the museum a finished oil of a magical starry night scene.
Exhibit and event schedule
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Every 3rd Thursday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. | Art Conversations at 7 p.m, every third Thursday
- Main Gallery — “A Feeling of Humanity: Western Art from the Ken Ratner Collection
- Mezzanine Gallery — “Ride On In: Cowboys Come to the St. George Art Museum”
- Legacy Gallery — “Minerva Teichert On the Ranch” from the Permanent Collection
Third Thursday “Art Conversation”
The third Thursday “Art Conversation” is an adult gathering of art lovers interested in more information about the artist and his or her medium. The art conversation program is free-of-charge.
- June 18: Cowboy Poet, Roger Conrad, with Cowboy Painter Bonnie Conrad
- July 16: Let’s Rodeo with Lyman Hafen
- August 20: The Ranching Way with Larry Gardner
St. George Art Museum | website | email | telephone 435-627-4525 | address: 47 E. 200 North, St. George
- Astronomy group hosts Toquerville star party; upcoming sky events
- New art museum exhibit features cowboys, western art
Email: [email protected]