IVINS — City of Ivins and Kayenta Development construction workers building new housing in the Kayenta subdivision of Ivins accidentally ruptured a 2-inch natural gas line Thursday afternoon, bringing firefighters and Questar Gas running to control the leak.
Construction workers ruptured the pipe and reported the accident just before 1 p.m., Ivins Fire Chief Randy Hancey said.
The rupture area was about 5 feet from some homes.
Residents living near the gas leak voluntarily left their homes as a precaution.
“These things can be a little hazardous when they’re this close to residential homes,” Hancey said. “We have all our precautionary measures out.”
Two Ivins fire engines were on scene at the corner of Mallow Way and North Agave Way in Kayenta, with hoses pulled and connected to a hydrant in case a fire should occur.
Firefighters wore ventilators and supplementary air tanks as a precaution.
Questar Gas arrived just after 1:30 p.m. to cap and repair the line.
No gas ignited, and no injuries were reported.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
- Gas leak results in evacuations at Dixie Commons; STGnews Videocast
- News Short: Gas leak at Target evacuates shoppers
- Possible gas leak triggers evacuation of Hurricane High School
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.