Early morning fire likely caused by discarded ‘smoking materials’

ST. GEORGE – An early morning fire torched the back porch of a home near Dixie State University Tuesday. The cause? The improper disposal of smoking materials, firefighters said.

Firefighters responded to the call of a structure fire at 682 East 100 South just before 8 a.m. Tuesday, arriving at a home that appears to currently be rented out as off-campus housing for DSU students, St. George Fire Battalion Chief Darren Imlay said. (See ed. note)

“The fire was contained to the back porch,” Imlay said.

Flames from the fire reached up to char the bottom of a second-level porch when a fire crew arrived on scene and quickly put out the blaze.

“There was no extension inside the home at all,” Implay said. “No smoke or water damage inside; it was all exterior … and no injuries.”

Firefighters believe the cause of the fire was what Imlay called “improperly discarded smoking materials,” such as a cigar or cigarette.

“You definitely want to discard them properly,” Imlay said, and recommended people use a vase full of sand for that purpose in order to avoid this common cause of structure fires.

We do get quite a few fires through the year with improperly discarded smoking materials,” Imaly said. “It’s one of the major causes of fire.”

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Ed. note: Time and location of incident corrected.

Related posts

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.



Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • fun bag August 25, 2015 at 1:34 pm

    i remember fire safety taught in school as kids. Need fire safety classes for adults

  • LegalEye August 25, 2015 at 3:06 pm

    Are you sure of that address? It doesn’t match the photo…

    • Mori Kessler August 26, 2015 at 7:29 am

      The location has been corrected

  • Dexter August 25, 2015 at 6:17 pm

    Well at least the fire wasn’t started by a D. U. I. rollover with stolen plates and no insurance while texting

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.