ROCKVILLE — Citizens of Rockville, surrounding community members and many creative artists have combined forces to raise funds for the historic Rockville Bridge with three related events held throughout June and July.
The events are as follows:
- Art Exhibit | June 1 to July 11 at the Canyon Community Center, 126 Lion Blvd. in Springdale
- Artist Reception and Silent Auction | June 2 from 6-8 p.m. at the Canyon Community Center
- Live Art Auction | June 10 from 7 -9 p.m. at the former Rockville Schoolhouse, 38 E. Main St. in Rockville; ticketed event
The Rockville Bridge is an iconic crossing of the Virgin River just west of Zion National Park on Grafton Road. Bearing unique historical, technical and technological significance, it is the last Parker through-truss bridge in the state.
In 2012, when the Utah Department of Transportation downgraded the weight limit on the bridge, town leadership started looking for a solution. Rockville is now on track to receive a $2.5 million grant in October 2017 to rehabilitate the historic landmark, but the town must raise 6.77 percent to match the grant. Here’s where the June and July events enter the picture.
From June 1 to July 11 at the Canyon Community Center in Springdale, over 30 local artists will display their vision of the bridge and surrounding area. The artwork will be available for sale by silent auction. Each artist has graciously donated all or a portion of the sale price to the bridge’s restoration fund.
As part of the exhibit, an artists’ reception will be held June 2 at the Canyon Community Center from 6-8 p.m. This event is open to the public. Light refreshments will be served. All of the artwork will be available for purchase by silent auction that night and throughout the exhibit. All donated art will remain on display throughout the exhibit.
On June 10, a live art auction of five original works by Kate Starling, Royden Card, Lisa Huber, David Pettit and Lyman Whitaker will take place in Rockville at the former Rockville Schoolhouse. Space for this event is limited. Tickets to this fundraiser are available for a minimum contribution of $35 per person. Tickets can be secured at the Live Art Auction website.
The exhibit will be open at the community center Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. The Canyon Community Center is closed on Sunday.
- What: Art fundraising events for the historic Rockville Bridge rehabilitation
- Art Exhibit: June 1 to July 11
- Artist Reception and Silent Auction: June 2, 6-8 p.m.
- Live Art Auction: June 10, 7-9 p.m.
- Art Exhibit and Artist Reception: Canyon Community Center, 126 Lion Blvd., Springdale
- Live Art Auction: former Rockville Schoolhouse, 38 E. Main St., Rockville
- Art Exhibit: free
- Silent Auction: fundraising event
- Live Art Auction: minimum contribution of $35 per person, secure tickets
- Event flyers: Art Exhibit | Art Auction
Email: [email protected]