ST. GEORGE – Shortly after dealing with a small electrical fire on Main Street Tuesday afternoon, firefighters ran to another fire that was torching the side of a home on 600 North just off Diagonal Street.
At approximately 6 p.m., the St. George Fire Department was dispatched to 600 North where a caller had reported visible smoke and flames on the side of their home.
“Upon our arrival we found that the occupants and some neighbors had actually extinguished the majority of the fire,” St. George Fire Battalion Chief Ken Guard said.
There was still a bit of smoke coming from the attic, and firefighters checked the area to make sure the fire hadn’t extended into the home itself. Only a light amount of smoke actually made it into the attic, Guard said.
The occupants inside the home didn’t notice the fire outside until someone saw the flames through a kitchen window. As they were able to get the bulk of the fire out by the time firefighters arrived, damage to the exterior of the home was minimal. Overall damages are estimated to be approximately $2,200.
No injuries were reported in connection with the fire.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental, Guard said.
“Basically a discarded cigarette,” he said.
Five fire engines and 22 firefighters responded to the fire. Gold Cross Ambulance, St. George Police and Volunteers in Public Services (VIPS) also responded to the scene.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.