Early morning fire destroys Enoch home, displaces family

The Cedar City Fire Department deploys ladder truck to fight a residential structure fire in Enoch, Utah, Jan. 23, 2019 | Photo courtesy of Rob Dotson, Cedar City News, St. George News

ST. GEORGE A family was displaced after their Enoch home burned nearly to the ground despite the efforts of firefighters who fought the blaze in freezing temperatures early Wednesday morning.

Firefighters continue to fight residential structure fire in Enoch, Utah, Jan. 23, 2019 | Photo courtesy of Rob Dotson, Cedar City News, St. George News

At 5:15 a.m. firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire at a modular home on Mustang Road after the residents evacuated and called 911, Cedar City Fire Capt. Travis Fails said.

Firefighters arrived to find flames coming from the roof near where the chimney was located. With all occupants safely outside fire crews began an aggressive attack on the blaze that was spreading quickly.

“By the time we arrived the fire was burning well into the attic and through the ceiling above the fireplace,” Fails said.

Modular homes typically have a small attic, which means that fire can spread quickly through such a confined space, Fails said, “and it doesn’t take much for it to burn through the ceiling.”

“And that older insulation is notorious for spreading fire.”

With the ceiling compromised, firefighters worked quickly to contain the blaze that spread to the point where they could no longer enter the structure without running the risk of the roof collapsing on top of them.

Meanwhile, Enoch City sent a mini excavator to the scene to clear debris away from the structure to allow firefighters better access, but even those efforts did little to prevent the blaze from spreading throughout the structure, Enoch City Manager Rob Dotson said.

Fire crews worked in frigid temperatures that had fallen to 2 degrees.

“It took a lot of work to get the fire completely out, and with that ceiling so weak we weren’t able to get to it at first,” Fails said.

Fire officials were able to determine that the fire started in an area of the ceiling above the fireplace, however the cause is still under investigation.

Dotson commented on the difficulties faced while fighting this particular fire.

“The manpower and resources thrown at this fire were no match for the challenges presented by the confined roof space, older building materials and the structure itself.”

A preliminary estimate puts the loss at $90,000, Fails said, although much of the interior furnishings were spared.

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.

This report is based on statements from police or other responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.