Children, 2 dogs in home as dryer ignites home fire

ST. GEORGE — Two children at home Monday morning smelled smoke in their home, and when the smoke alarm went off, they did exactly what they were supposed to do: they called 911 and got out of the house.

The first engines were dispatched about 8:25 a.m. and firefighters responded quickly, St. George Fire Capt. Dan Cazier said. They found a gas clothes dryer that was on fire and the firefighters swung into a quick attack.

See video in media player above

A rescued dog is handed to Holly Bird, the homeowner whose laundry room caught fire Monday morning. St. George, Utah, July 3, 2017 | Photo by Mike Cole, St. George News

The children were safely outside the home by the time firefighters arrived. Homeowner Holly Bird arrived from work shortly after and was present when two dogs were rescued from the home.

“There were two dogs in the home. We got them both out. – there was nobody in the home,” Cazier said. “It was reported that one of the children of the homeowner called the fire in. They were inside the home and could see that there was some smoke in the home. Fortunately there were smoke detectors in the home and the kids heard them.”

The damage to the laundry room was extensive, but the damage to the rest of the home was limited to smoke damage.

“I left for work at 8 o’clock in the morning,” Bird said. “My son called me and said the laundry room was on fire, so I came back home … My dogs are OK and my kids are OK, and that’s most important.”

No damage estimate was available at the time of this report, Cazier said, and no injuries were reported. Firefighters worked for just over an hour making sure the fire was out and the residents could return.

Three engines, a ladder truck and a battalion squad responded to the fire, as well as St. George Police  and Gold Cross Ambulance.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews | @NewsWayman

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2017, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • comments July 3, 2017 at 2:13 pm

    i wonder if the kids knew how to properly clean the lint screen.

  • Bender July 3, 2017 at 3:59 pm

    A leaf blower is an effective way to clean out a dryer vent pipe. Also fun.

    • comments July 4, 2017 at 3:08 pm

      exactly what I did. wasn’t fun at all tho

  • ScanMeister July 4, 2017 at 11:45 am

    I just cleaned around my dryer today……inspired by news piece. I am pretty careful about that.

  • The Dude July 5, 2017 at 7:39 am

    Cleaning the screen and vent are great. But doesn’t remove the problem. It’s the lint inside the dryer. This lint and dust collects from air entering the dryer not exiting it. It’s the same dust and lint your A/C filter gets clogged with. It can only be removed by taking the dryer apart and vacuuming​ it out. It collects on the burner tube and becomes a fire danger.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.